ASPECTS OF HARVINGTON'S HISTORY
A personal rendering

Coach & Horses
  Home      pre 1066      Buildings      Census Returns      Church      Dovecote      Facebook      Families      Histories      Houses      Maps       Notes & Queries       Parish Council      People      Pictures      Public Houses       School       Sports      Transport      War Time      WI      Contact:   

ST JAMES THE GREAT,

PARISH CHURCH OF

HARVINGTON



The great east window

The present church is by far the oldest building in Harvington and there has probably been a church on this site since at least the 8th century when Harvington first appears on record. Marjorie Bailey's history covers much of the church's story, so, apart from specific items not covered by Marjorie, it is not intended to duplicate her work. As this project progresses, more web pages will be added. A major addition will be a complete transcription of the memorials from both inside and outside the church.


  Bier      Burial Ground      Churchyard      Rectors      Davenport's Registers      Rawes' Registers   


CHURCH BELLS

In 1947 the bells were recast by John Taylor & Co., of Loughborough and were hung 'dead' and rung by a chiming mechanism. In 1998 a new bell frame was installed and the bells rehung for full-circle ringing in time for the mellinium. The two photographs are from the Coach & Horses collection.


MODEL OF CHURCH

Made in Longlartin Prison in Worcestershire in 1988 by a prisoner serving life. It was given to Pat Freeth, the wife of the then rector Barry Freeth, Pat was a Prison visitor. The model was given by Pat in 2014 to Joy Rawes at Crooked Walls and is now (2016) on a window sill in the church.



Group standing by the recently recasted bells. Reg Coley, ?, ?, Mr Sherwood, George Savage, Mrs Towers, Ralph Towers, Rev Boultbee.


PARISH MAGAZINE

Old issues of the parish magazine are useful in shewing church officials of the past as well as interesting items of the time. The following are only the front, back and inside covers, as the material inside is not pertinant to Harvington.

May 1932

Feb 1933

July/August 1984