ASPECTS OF HARVINGTON'S HISTORY
A personal rendering

Coach & Horses
  Home      pre 1066      Buildings      Census Returns      Church      Dovecote      Families      Histories      Houses      Maps       Notes & Queries       Parish Council      People      Pictures      Public Houses       School       Sports      Transport      War Time      Contact:   

PICTURES

OF

HARVINGTON



INTRODUCTION

This is an ongoing attempt to gather under one page as many old, and a few new, views of Harvington as possible. The following postcards, photographs, sketches and paintings have been gathered from various sources and, where possible, have been accredited.

A major source is a wonderful collection believed to have been begun by Alice Cook the mother of the late Steve Cook who was for many years the unofficial historian of Harvington. Many of the postcards and photographs are attached to card and have writing alongside.

Route
The images have been organised in such a manner whereby it is possible to follow a course round the village, which has enabled pictures of similar vistas to be gathered together. The webpage is structured so that the images appear in two columns. To view this page commence with the left hand column, with the cottage called Thatchways, situated on the road from Norton. You will be guided up Stratford Road, past Shakespeare Lane, onto Church Street, the Church, Station Bank and Anchor Lane, Cress Hill, up Station Road to The Green, on up Village Street, The Cross and so on until one returns to Ragley Road off Village Street, Hughes Lane and then down to Grange Lane and Finch Lane, by which time you are at the bottom of the right hand column.

Photograph of Thatchways Cottage dated to 1900. Alongside the photograph is written: "Mr Cresswell at door, he was a hedger and ditcher and lived here with six children 1900". From Cook Family Collection.
Photograph from circa 1910. An early photograph of Thatchways & Thatchholm as one enters Harvington from Norton.
This is a painting of Thatchways, the first cottage on the right as one enters Harvington from Norton. Note that it does not have the timber-framed extension. The picture was copied from a book called Rural England by P H Ditchfield, titled 'Lilac and Apple Blossoms, Harvington, Worcester, the artist was A R Quinton'. Written alongside the painting is "Thatchways Cottage by A R Quinton 1900". Another copy is to be found in a little cookery book titled Favourite Country Soups. From the Cook Family Collection.
Painting of Thatchways by the artist A R Quinton, 1853-1934. He travelled the Country painting hundreds of scenes which he then produced as postcards.
Photograph of Thatchways and Thatchholm. From the Cook Family Collection.
Photograph of Thatchways and Thatchholm in 1920. From the Cook Family Collection.
Photograph of Thatchways and Thatchholm. From the Almonry.
Print depicting Thatchways taken from the Kings England series - Worcestershire, first published in 1938.
A lovely photograph taken in the winter of 2012 by Michael Baxter of Hughes Close, Harvington.
Postcard dated from circa 1925. The card depicts the first two houses (Thatchways & Thatchholm) on the right upon entering Harvington from Norton.
Postcard of Thatchways and Thatchholm. Note that Thatchways has its extension. The timbers on the end gable are now arranged differently. From Cook Family Collection.
A framed drawing of Thatchways and Thatchholm. On the reverse is a label: Framed by Wills Art Emporium, Ada M. Woodhead, Frame Makers, Print sellers, Artists Colourmen. 20 Morgan Arcade, Cardiff. The artist is unkown. Originally from Geoff North but now (2018) in the possession of Julian & Joy Rawes.
Postcard dated from the early 1930's. The card depicts the first two houses (Thatchways & Thatchholm) on the right upon entering Harvington from Norton. Note that Thatchways has its extension. The timbers on the end gable are now arranged differently.
Postcard dated from circa 1930. The card is identical to the one above but is a blown-up version of the other. It shews Thatchholm on the right.
From a publication, below photograph is written: "Motorists on the main Evesham - Stratford pass this fine Tudor period house". From the Cook Family Collection.
A photograph from an unusual angle of Thatchholm and Thatchways dated to 1958. Title was "from Rog Field". From the Cook Family Collection.
A rare photograph of The Orchard opposite Thatchways and Thatchholm. From the Cook Family Collection.
Thatchholm painting by Samuel Towers. Painted between 1912 and 1940 from the artist's home at Firbank. Taken from the Internet.
Wonderful photograph dated to 1880 of Firbank. Original in Worcestershire Record Office.
Another wonderful old photograph dated to 1880 of Firbank. Original in Worcestershire Record Office.
Photograph of Firbank. Written alongside is "1900". From the Cook Family Collection.
Photograph dated in 1900's of Firbank. Photograph taken from 'The Church & Parish of St James the Great, Harvington' by Jess Fairs and Sue Coley, 2000.
Photograph of Firbank. Written alongside is "Unknown 1907", but this is Firbank. Note that since the time of this photograph the thatched overhang has been added. From the Cook Family Collection.
Painting by A R Quinton 1853-1934, of Firbank, the home of the artist Samuel Towers depicting Mrs Towers and her two daughters. It is to be noted that this is different to a similar painting of Firbank. Taken from a note.
Photograph of Firbank. Written alongside is "Firbank Mrs Towers 1929". From the Cook Family Collection.
Painting by A R Quinton 1853-1934, of Firbank, the home of the artist Samuel Towers. Taken from Rural England by P H Ditchfield. It is very likely that A R Quinton stayed with and was a friend of Samuel Towers at Firbank.
Photograph of the garden at Firbank. From the Cook Family Collection.
Photograph of Firbank. From the Almonry.
Photograph dated from the 1958 of Firbank. Taken from 'The Church & Parish of St James the Great, Harvington' by Jess Fairs and Sue Coley, 2000.
Postcard of the Laurels. From the Cook Family Collection.
Postcard dated to 1880 of the Limes in Shakespeare Lane, in a rather delapidated state. From the Worcestershire Record Office.
Postcard taken of The Limes and in the background The Laurels. From Geoff North.
Photograph taken of The Limes. From the Cook Family Collection.
Photograph taken of The Limes. Written alongside is: "The Miss Stratton's The Limes". From the Cook Family Collection.
Photograph taken of the lane alongside the old Shakespeare in 1976 with the entrance to the new churchyard on the extreme left. Photograph by Ken Davies.
Photograph taken of the lane looking south from the new churchyard in 1976. Photograph by Ken Davies.
Photograph taken in the garden of the old Shakespeare Inn in Shakespeare Lane. Photograph taken from The Church & Parish of St James the Great, Harvington by Jess Fairs and Sue Coley, 2000.
Postcard dating from the 1930's. The card is looking up Stratford Road towards the junction with Village Street and Church Street. Bank Cottage is the first of the terrace on the left. On the right are the old Smithy and the two properties demolished in the 1930's.
A photograph of Bank Cottage and The Malt House from the front garden of the Limes in Shakespeare Lane. Note, apart from the cat (who looks remarkably like my late cat Merlin, Ed.), in the top right hand corner the unroofed remains of a timber framed barn adjacent to the Hop Kiln. From the Cook Family Collection.
Postcard of the Malt House and Bank Cottage in Stratford Road looking south. From the Cook Family Collection.
Photograph probably dating from the 1930's, of the old Smithy with Mr Grimmett acting as a farrier for a horse, situated near to the junction of Stratford Road with Church Street and Village Street. The Smithy, along with the two properties, was demolished by the Council circa 1935. From the Cook Family Collection.
Photograph taken In Malt House Close looking towards Finch Lane. Photograph by Ken Davies.
Postcard of The Steps. From the Cook Family Collection.
Fine photograph dating from 1930, shewing the two properties (Cider Press and Blacksmith Cottages), demolished in the 1930's along with the Smithy on the left. In the distance is the 'Limes' with the Laurels beyond. The buildings on the right are the Steps and Mrs Moss's shop. Written alongside is "The Steps 1930". From the Cook Family Collection.
A Christmas greetings card of a wintery street scene in Stratford Road. Written alongside is "1905". From Cook Family Collection.
Copy of a postcard looking down Stratford Road with the two old properties, demolished in the 1930's. Written to the side is: "Cottages now demolished Hopkiln Cottages now built there". From Cook Family Collection.
Postcard looking down Stratford Road. From the Cook Family Collection.
Copy of a postcard dating from 1910. Looking down Stratford Road with the two old properties, demolished in the 1930's, on the left and the still existing properties on the right. Written alongside is"1910". From the Cook Family Collection.
Postcard dating from about 1900. Looking down Stratford Road with the two old properties and smithy, demolished in the 1930's, on the left and the still existing properties on the right. Note the cruck frame on the extreme left. The names Cider Press and Blacksmith cottages have been added to help identify them. Photograph is from The Vale of Evesham by Josephine Jeremiah.
Another postcard looking down Stratford Road with the two old properties and smithy on the left-hand side. From the Cook Family Collection.
Postcard dated from the early 1930's. Another impression of the two houses demolished in the 1930's. One can see the Hop Kiln with its original roof in the background. On the right is 'The Retreat'.
Postcard dating from the early 1930's. Looking down Village to the junction with Stratford Road and Church Street. The main features are the two houses that were demolished by the Council in the 1930's.
Sketch dated to before 1855 looking up Church Street and showing the old property demolished in the 1930's on the right and Crooked Walls on the left. The sketch shews the church tower prior to its spire erected in 1855. The sketch was copied from an old book by the late Steve Cook and a copy was given to Joy Davies.
Photograph dated to the early 1980's of the verge at the junction of Village Street and Church Street. By Ken and Joy Davies.
Photograph dated to the early 1980's of the roadside hedge where Chestnut Close off Church Street was late built. By Ken and Joy Davies.
A lovely photograph dated to 1880 of Crooked Walls. This is at a time when it was four tenements facing south and not as now facing north. The lady standing at number two is Lucy Sorrel. Worcestershire Record Office.
Postcard of looking up Church Street with the four tenements that made up 'Crooked Walls' on the immediate right. Written alongside is "Church Bank 1900". Note that the level of the road has been raised considerably since then. Postcard from the Cook family collection.
Postcard of Church Street looking up Church Street with the four tenements that made up 'Crooked Walls' on the immediate right. Postcard from Peter Newman.
Lovely postcard dated circa 1908 looking up Church Street with the four tenements that made up 'Crooked Walls' on the immediate right. Note that the level of the road has risen considerably since then. Photograph published in 'The River Avon' by Josephine Jeremiah.
Postcard dated to the early 1930's looking up Church Street shewing 'Crooked Walls' on the immediate right. The porch was erected in about 1930.
Photograph taken about 2010 in the garden of Crooked Walls.
Postcard of Crooked Walls in Church Street (once Church Bank). Written alongside is "Church Bank 1958". From the Cook Family Collection.
Sketch of Crooked Walls made about 1950 by one of the McClare's, once owners of Crooked Walls. Joy Davies was given a copy by them.
Photograph Crooked Walls. Written alongside is "Church Bank 1950". Photograph from the Cook family collection.
Photograph probably dating from the 1950's of Crooked Walls.
Photograph probably dating from the 1970's of Crooked Walls.
Photograph of Crooked Walls probably dating from the 1970's.
Photograph of Crooked Walls probably dating from the 1970's.
Photograph of the back garden at Crooked Walls dated to 1975. Photograph by Ken Davies.
Photograph of the back garden at Crooked Walls dated to 1975. Photograph by Ken Davies.
Photograph of James Cottage and Crooked Walls dated to 1975. Note the old windows of James Cottage and no little garden in front. Photograph by Ken Davies.
Photograph of Crooked Walls taken in the early 2000's.
Photograph taken of workmen in the interior of the Hop Kiln. From the Cook Family Collection.
The only known full photograph of the old cider mill building although a faint image of it appears in the photograph taken from The Limes with the cat when only its bare roof timbers remaining. The mill was situated where No. one & two Hopkiln cottages now stand. Its age is not known but it does appear on the 1837 plan of Harvington as a large mostly rectangular building orientated east west. It was demolished circa 1935 to make way for the Hopkiln Council houses. Written beneath is: "1930's remains of Harvington Cider Mill". From the Cook Family Collection.
Photograph taken of the area at the rear of Crooked Walls in 1976. Photograph by Ken Davies.
Painting by the British Water-colour artist Samuel Towers (1862-1943) of Firbank, depicting the area now occupied by James's Close with the church and properties on Church Street in the distance.
Photograph looking down Church Street. Alongside is written "Church Bank 1930". On the left is Apple Tree Cottage and James Cottage (both fairly new names), followed by the lane leading to the Hop Kilns and then Crooked Walls. In the distance one can see The Retreat. Photograph from the Cook family collection.
Photograph dating from the 1930's looking down Church Street. On the left is Apple Tree Cottage and James Cottage (both fairly new names), followed by the lane leading to the Hop Kilns and then Crooked Walls. In the distance one can see The Retreat. The gentleman standing in the doorway is the village Post Master Mr Rawlings.
Photograph possibly dating from the 1950's of Apple Tree Cottage and James Cottage. Both names are fairly new. Photograph taken from The Church & Parish of St James the Great, Harvington by Jess Fairs and Sue Coley, 2000.
Photograph looking down Church Street. From a publication, below photograph is written: "The village post office is next to one of the oldest "black and white" cottages in the district". From the Cook Family Collection.
Photograph of the Coach and Horses. Written alongside is "Coach and Horses Inn around 1900". Note the old pub sign now restored and in the pub. Photograph from the Cook Family Collection.
Photograph dating from the 1930's of the Coach and Horses. Photograph taken from 'The Church & Parish of St James the Great, Harvington' by Jess Fairs and Sue Coley, 2000.
Photograph probably dating from the 1950's of the Coach and Horses. Photograph taken from 'The Church & Parish of St James the Great, Harvington' by Jess Fairs and Sue Coley, 2000.
Photograph of the Coach and Horses taken in 1976. Photograph by Ken Davies.
Photograph taken in 2015 of the Coach and Horses. By Julian Rawes
Photograph taken by Brian Brazier from the church tower looking over the Coach and Horses. Photograph taken from 'The Church & Parish of St James the Great, Harvington' by Jess Fairs and Sue Coley, 2000.
Photograph taken in 1965 from the upstairs of 'The Close' looking south towards the church and the Coach & Horses. Note 'Croftlands' at the top of Anchor Lane on the extreme left. It was built Mr Bromley the village undertaker. The house was demolished in the 1990's to make way for Bromley Close. Photograph taken from 'The Church & Parish of St James the Great, Harvington' by Jess Fairs and Sue Coley, 2000.
Photograph taken in the 1894 of the inside of St James's church. Photograph taken from The Church & Parish of St James the Great, Harvington by Jess Fairs and Sue Coley, 2000.
Photograph taken in the 1950's of the inside of St James's church. Photograph taken from The Church & Parish of St James the Great, Harvington by Jess Fairs and Sue Coley, 2000.
Photograph of the church and the new churchyard. Written beneath is "Dedication War Memorial 1919. 1st memorial in Vale of Evesham. Grandmother with Dad, Betty & others, family on right of picture". From the Cook Family Collection.
Photograph of the church and the new churchyard. Written alongside is "[19]20". The new churchyard was opend in 1916. The photograph was used as a frontispiece on the Arch Messenger of 1932. From the Cook Family Collection.
Photograph of St James's dated to after 1955. From the Cook Family Collection.
Photograph of St James's dated to after 1955 taken from the Hopkiln lane. From the Cook Family Collection.
Photograph of St James's probably dating from the 1930's.
Photograph of St James's interior. Written alongside is "Interior of St James's 1958". From the Cook Family Collection.
Photograph of St James's probably dating from the 1930's. Photograph taken from 'The Church & Parish of St James the Great, Harvington' by Jess Fairs and Sue Coley, 2000.
Photograph taken in 1961 during the construction of the vestry. Mr T. (Tommy) V. Wheeler is on the right. Photograph taken from The Church & Parish of St James the Great, Harvington by Jess Fairs and Sue Coley, 2000.
Photograph taken prior to the construction of the vestry. From the Cook Family Collection.
Photograph taken in 1961 prior to the construction of the vestry. Photograph taken from The Church & Parish of St James the Great, Harvington by Jess Fairs and Sue Coley, 2000.
Photograph taken by Bernard Hodgkinson from the church tower looking over south towards and beyond the Shakespeare Inn. Photograph taken from The Church & Parish of St James the Great, Harvington by Jess Fairs and Sue Coley, 2000.
Photograph taken by Bernard Hodgkinson from the church tower looking over the Hop Kiln to the village beyond. Photograph taken from The Church & Parish of St James the Great, Harvington by Jess Fairs and Sue Coley, 2000.
Photograph taken by Bernard Hodgkinson from the church tower looking down across Candle Cottage. Photograph taken from The Church & Parish of St James the Great, Harvington by Jess Fairs and Sue Coley, 2000.
Photograph taken of a snowy Harvington from the church tower over what is now St James's Close. Written alongside is "Jan 3rd 1951 taken from church spire. The Close". From the Cook Family Collection.
Photograph taken from the tower about 1985 looking down on Crooked Walls and the village beyond. Photograph taken by Steve Cook.
Postcard taken from Station Road looking towards Candle Cottage with the properties called respectively Church Cottage and Church House to the right and the church behind. Note the Medieval dovecot beyond still with its roof and louver on top. Note the extended garden to Candle Cottage and the old outbuildings of Manor Farm to be seen on the extreme left. On another copy is written: "Old Post Office Mrs Morgan's on left Chandler's Cottage". There are no commas but one should read as Church House, Church Cottage, Candle Cottage. Postcards from the Cook Family Collection.
Postcard taken from Station Road looking towards Candle Cottage with the properties called respectively Church Cottage and Church House to the right and the church behind. Postcards from the Cook Family Collection.
Postcard taken of the old Post Office now Church House. Written alongside is: "1906 Old Post Office S.J. Cook born here in 1910". Postcards from the Cook Family Collection.
Photograph of Avonbank on Cress Hill. From the Mansell Family.
Photograph taken in 2015 of the houses on Cress Hill by Julian Rawes.
Photograph taken in 1965 when these houses were built on the corner of Station Road and Church Street. The house on the right is that of the Rectory. Photograph taken from 'The Church & Parish of St James the Great, Harvington' by Jess Fairs and Sue Coley, 2000.
Early drawing of Manor Farm and its various, possibly medieval, outbuildings taken from www.british-history.ac.uk
Photograph taken in the mid 20th century of the Manor Farm shewing to the right its probably medieval stone barn and timber-framed building. Photograph taken from 'The Church & Parish of St James the Great, Harvington' by Jess Fairs and Sue Coley, 2000.
Photograph of Manor Farm. Written alongside is: "Manor Farm 1900". From the Cook Family Collection.
Photograph taken mid twentieth century of Manor Farm from the west and rear side. The framed original is at Crooked Walls.
Postcard taken in the 1930's from the east of Manor Farm. Note the entrance wall and the outhouse on the extreme right.
A sad time for Manor Farm in 1987 with the destruction of its ancient farm buildings. From the Cook Family Collection.
Postcard taken of Harvington Station looking west. Written alongside is: "Harvington Railway Station 1910-1912. Baby in pram could by my father S D Cook with his mother Alice Cook". From Cook Family Collection.
Postcard taken of Harvington Station looking west. From the Cook Family Collection.
Photograph of Harvington signal box taken in 1910. From the Cook Family Collection.
Postcard of the Railway Station in 1912. From the Cook Family Collection.
Postcard taken of Harvington Station looking west. Photograph taken from 'The Church & Parish of St James the Great, Harvington' by Jess Fairs and Sue Coley, 2000.
Postcard of the Railway Station in 1960. From the Cook Family Collection.
Postcard of the Railway Station circa 1964, a very sad end. From the Cook Family Collection.
Newspaper cutting about the house under the railway bridge. From the Cook Collection.
Photograph by David Hutchings of the house under the railway bridge. Photograph taken from 'The Church & Parish of St James the Great, Harvington' by Jess Fairs and Sue Coley, 2000.
Stark photograph taken of the old railway bridge and the new bypass looking north east prior to growth of vegetation in 1976. Photograph by Ken Davies.
Photograph taken of the Harvington Cricket pitch in 1976. Photograph by Ken Davies.
Photograph taken above the lock near the weir in 1976. Photograph by Ken Davies.
Photograph taken above the lock near the weir in 1976. Photograph by Ken Davies.
Photograph taken in the early twentieth century of Harvington Weir. Photograph taken from 'The Church & Parish of St James the Great, Harvington' by Jess Fairs and Sue Coley, 2000.
Painting of Harvington Weir by the artist A R Quinton, 1853-1934. He travelled the Country painting hundreds of scenes mostly to be sold as postcards. Taken from the Internet.
Photograph taken in the 1930's at Harvington lock and weir.
A delightful sketch of an earlier weir across the Avon. From Geoff North.
Photograph of river. Written alongside is "1926 Back view of (from) Mill Mrs Grims". From the Cook Family Collection.
Photograph of the river Avon. Written above is "1920's". From the Cook Family Collection.
Photograph of the weir and the Fish & Anchor. Written alongside is: "Fish & Anchor Inn 1920's". From the Cook Family Collection.
Photograph of the ford and the Fish & Anchor. Written alongside is: "The Ford at the Fish & Anchor". From the Cook Family Collection.
Photograph taken circa 1908 of the Harvington Mill House or Mill Farm. Taken from 'The River Avon' by Josephine Jeremiah.
Photograph taken in the 1980's of Mill House before it became a country hotel. It has now reverted back to a private house (2013). Photograph taken from 'The Church & Parish of St James the Great, Harvington' by Jess Fairs and Sue Coley, 2000.
Photograph of Harvington Mill, taken in 1920. From the Cook Family Collection.
Photograph taken possibly in the 1980's of the derelict Harvington Mill. It is still derelict in 2013.
Early photograph of the Village Green. From the Cook Family Collection.
Photograph of the Village Green taken in 1950. From the Cook Family Collection.
Postcard taken in the late 1930's of the Village Green. From the Cook Family Collection.
Photograph of Poplar Cottage and Cedar Lodge. Written alongside is "1900? Cedar Lodge The Green". Photograph from the Cook Family Collection.
Postcard of the Green with Poplar Cottage on the left and the Harvington Infant School on the right. Photograph from the Cook Family Collection.
Photograph of the Village Hall taken in 2000. Photograph taken from 'The Church & Parish of St James the Great, Harvington' by Jess Fairs and Sue Coley, 2000.
Photograph taken of the side of the Village Hall looking towards the street in 1976. Photograph by Ken Davies.
Sketch of the school. It is signed Jago Stone 1985. From the Cook Family Collection.
Lovely postcard taken around 1900 looking towards the school and green. The house on the left was the Hop Pole inn. Taken from 'The Vale of Evesham' by Josephine Jeremiah.
Postcard dated to about 1910 of the Village Green with the school on the left and the Reading Room on the right. From Geoff North.
Photograph taken of the school playground in 1976. Photograph by Ken Davies.
Photograph taken of the allotments in 1976. Photograph by Ken Davies.
Photograph taken of the old Reading Room opposite the school. The site is now occupied by four houses. Photograph taken from 'The Church & Parish of St James the Great, Harvington' by Jess Fairs and Sue Coley, 2000.
Photograph of the Post Office. Written alongside is "1897". Photograph from the Cook Family Collection.
Photograph of Cotswold View looking south. Written alongside is "1900 Cotswold View as Post Office". Photograph from the Cook Family Collection.
Postcard taken about 1900 of the Post Office (Cotswold View) looking south. The interesting little thatched house, named as Smith's Cottage circa 1905, beyond was demolished in 1919. Four modern houses now occupy the site. Taken from 'The Vale of Evesham' by Josephine Jeremiah.
Postcard taken about 1905 of the Post Office looking south. To the side of the postcard is written: "Post Office 1905, John & Anne Cook, Nancy & Hilda, Peggy the dog, Smith's thatched cottage". The interesting little thatched house, named on this postcard as Smith's Cottage, beyond was demolished in 1919, with the Hop Pole cottages beyond.
Photograph of Cotswold View. From the Cook Family Collection.
Photograph of Cotswold View. Written alongside is "1910"> From the Cook Family Collection.
Photograph taken in the 2000's of Bredon View (Village Shop & Post Office) and Cotswold View beyond. Photograph taken from 'The Church & Parish of St James the Great, Harvington' by Jess Fairs and Sue Coley, 2000.
Photograph of Harvington Baptist church taken in 2000, prior to its extension. Photograph taken from 'The Church & Parish of St James the Great, Harvington' by Jess Fairs and Sue Coley, 2000.
Postcard dated to 1900 depicting Cross Cottages. Along side the postcard is written: "1900 Village Street Vic Tyack & Family" in the gateway of the middle property. From the Cook Family Collection.
Full blown photograph of above. Alongside is written: "1900 Village Street Vic Tyack & Family" in the gateway of the middle property. From the Cook Family Collection.
Fine Photograph of the Golden Cross prior to the addition of the single storey front. From the Almonry.
Postcard dating to circa 1900 of the Golden Cross. Taken from 'The Vale of Evesham' by Josephine Jeremiah.
Photograph of the Golden Cross pub. From Peter Newman.
Photograph of the Golden Cross pub. From Peter Newman.
Photograph of the Golden Cross pub. From Peter Newman.
Photograph of A E Marsh's Black and White Garages Ltd.
Photograph taken of the Golden Cross junction looking north in 1976. Note A E Marsh's Black and White Garages Ltd. Photograph by Ken Davies.
Photograph taken of the Golden Cross junction looking north in 1976. Photograph by Ken Davies.
Photograph taken of the Golden Cross junction looking north in 1976. Note A E Marsh's Black and White Garages Ltd. Photograph by Ken Davies.
A rare and delightful photograph of Hill Farm. Written alongside is "Harvington Hill Farm. Home of Hemming Clark, Bayliffe to Bomford Farm". This is now a ruin with little to shew that it was once a charming house property. From the Cook Family Collection.
Photograph taken in Orchard Place in 1976. Photograph by Ken Davies.
Photograph taken in the far right-hand corner of Orchard Place in 1976 of a plot later occupied by another property. Photograph by Ken Davies.
Photograph taken in the 1960's of 'The Leys', renamed Brookdale in December 1965. Photograph taken from The Church & Parish of St James the Great, Harvington by Jess Fairs and Sue Coley, 2000.
Photograph taken looking into Brookdale in 1976. Photograph by Ken Davies.
Photograph taken in Blakenhurst looking north in 1976. Photograph by Ken Davies.
Photograph taken possibly in Blakenhurst or Brookdale in 1976. Photograph by Ken Davies.
Photograph taken in the lane behind Leys Road Council Houses in 1976. Photograph by Ken Davies.
Photograph taken on Leys Road looking south towards the village in 1976. The Photograph by Ken Davies.
Photograph taken from Village Street across the green to Ragley Road in 1976. Photograph by Ken Davies.
Photograph taken in Ragley Road looking towards Hughes Lane in 1976. The two children in the foreground are Sarah and Timothy Davies. Photograph by Ken Davies.
Photograph taken at the end of Hughes Lane looking east towards the farm shop in 1976. On the left are the rear gardens of houses in Hughes Lane. Photograph by Ken Davies.
Photograph taken at the junction of the footpaths looking north towards Village Street near the Golden Cross in 1976. The path to the left leads to the farm shop. Photograph by Ken Davies.
Photograph taken in Hughes Close in 1976. Photograph by Ken Davies.
A lovely old postcard taken 1920 of Village Street looking south. Photograph from the Cook family collection.
Another photograph of Glebe Cottages in Village Street. Photograph from the Cook family collection.
A postcard taken in 1924 of Village Street looking south. Postcard from the Cook family collection.
Photograph taken circa 1900 of Village Street looking north. The scene depicts the houses demolished by the Council in the 1930's to make way for Glebe Cottages. From the Cook Family Collection.
Print of the old houses in Village Street taken from the Kings England series for Worcestershire, first published in 1938.
Photograph dating to 1888 of Village Street looking north. The scene depicts cottages demolished by the Council in the 1930's. The postcard was published along with an article depicted below. The lady on the photograph was apparently a Miss Davies, a builder's daughter. Original is in Worcestershire Record Office.
Photograph dating to 1888 of Village Street looking north. The scene depicts cottages demolished by the Council in the 1930's. The article states that it was owned by Mrs Johnson. The lady on the photograph was apparently a Miss Davies, a builder's daughter. The photograph is taken from a newspaper.
Postcard taken in 1905 of Village Street looking north. The scene shews a bit of Dream Cottage and Ye Olde Cottage (once called the 'Shepherds Cottage'), on the right, while on the left are the houses demolished 1930's to make way for Glebe Cottages. Note in pencil in the top left hand corner is written 'Tollhouse' with an arrow directed down to a small thatched building not seen on other photographs. From the Cook Family Collection.
Postcard of Dream Cottage and Ye Olde Cottage in Village Street along with a delightful poem, probably torn from a copy of the Arch Messenger by Steve Cook.
Postcard taken in the 1930's of Village Street looking north. The scene depicts Dream Cottage immediately on the left with Ye Olde Cottage beyond. Photograph taken from 'The Church & Parish of St James the Great, Harvington' by Jess Fairs and Sue Coley, 2000.
Photograph dating to the 1930's of a group of people thought to be standing outside Dream Cottage in Village Street.
Photograph of the Georgian Langton House in Village Street. Photograph taken from 'The Church & Parish of St James the Great, Harvington' by Jess Fairs and Sue Coley, 2000.
Photograph of old outbuildings to the rear of Langton House. Photograph taken from 'The Church & Parish of St James the Great, Harvington' by Jess Fairs and Sue Coley, 2000.
Photograph of new houses replacing old outbuildings to the rear of Langton House. Photograph taken from 'The Church & Parish of St James the Great, Harvington' by Jess Fairs and Sue Coley, 2000.
Early photograph of Village Street looking south. The scene depicts Coles Cottage and another block of cottages beyond demolished by the Council in the 1930's. The site is now occupied by a row of modern houses set back. From the Cook Family Collection.
Another fine photograph dating to circa 1900 of Village Street looking north. The scene depicts 'Coles' cottages demolished in the 1930's. One can just see Langton House behind the trees.
A photograph of modern houses in Village Street. Wallie Allvey helped build them in 1947. They replaced the demolished timber-framed coles cottages. Photograph taken from 'The Church & Parish of St James the Great, Harvington' by Jess Fairs and Sue Coley, 2000.
Photograph of Rev James Hay Waugh and his wife in the garden of the old Rectory. He was Rector 1895-1908. From the Cook Family Collection.
Old photograph taken in the garden of the old Rectory. Written alongside is: "Harvington Rectory 1930 before part demolition in 1968". Note the Croquet game set out on the lawn. From the Cook Family Collection.
A tree against a stone building. Written beneath is "Tree at bottom of village somewhere, now felled". It is believed that this scene depicts part of the Rectory that was demolished in 1968. This old photograph is From the Cook Family Collection.
Photograph of the rear of the old Rectory. Written alongside is "Rear of Harvington Rectory 1905". Note the old wing demolished in 1968. From the Cook Family Collection.
Photograph of Croft Farm in Grange Lane, the home of the Ludlow Family. Written alongside is "Grange Lane". From the Cook Family Collection.
Postcard taken of Grange Lane dated to 1900. Note the block of at least two properties that were demolished. Below the photograph is written: "Excuse card but thought you would like one of Home Sweet Home - 1900 Grange Lane". From the Cook Family Collection.
Delightful postcard taken of Grange Lane. Note the block of at least two properties that were sadly demolished. Alongside the photograph is written: "1910 Grange Lane George Savage's cottage before the tiled" (sentence ends abruptly). Note the large barn just visible to the rear of the cottages. From the Cook Family Collection.
Painting dating between 1911-1940 of Geil Cottages in Grange Lane looking from the direction of the Grange towards Village Street, by the artist Samuel Towers. Geil Cottages are now called Old Croft and New Croft. Copy taken from the Internet.
Drawing of Geil Cottages in Grange Lane looking from the direction of the Grange towards Village Street. Note that building on the left, this a rare close-up glimpse of the timber-framed house supposedly demolished in the 1930's. Image taken from Evesham & the Neighbourhood dated to somewhere around 1920.
An old photograph dating to circa 1900 of Geil Cottages in Grange Lane. Geil Cottages are now called Old Croft and New Croft. One can see the 'Croft' beyond. Taken from the Kings England - Worcestershire series first published in 1938.
Photograph of unknown date of the front of the Grange. Photograph taken from Harvington 2007'.
Photograph of Dalkeith House, probably dated to 1900-1910. From the Cook Family Collection.
Photograph of Dalkeith House, probably dated to 1900-1910. From the Cook Family Collection.
Photograph taken in the late 1920's looking up Village Street shewing Dalkeith covered in ivy. Photograph taken from 'The Church & Parish of St James the Great, Harvington' by Jess Fairs and Sue Coley, 2000.
Early postcard of Finch Hay Cottage in Finch Lane, probably taken in 1900. Written on the postcard is "Walker's Cottage, Rectory Lane" although the neighbouring Rosemary Cottage was also styled 'Walker's Cottage'. From the Cook Family Collection.
Early postcard of Rose Cottage in Finch Lane, dated to 1900. Written on the postcard is "Walker's Cottage, Rectory Lane" although the neighbouring Finch Hay was also styled 'Walker's Cottage'. From the Cook Family Collection.
PICTURES FROM SURROUNDING AREAS
Photograph of the Avon. Written alongside is "Cleeve Prior?". From Cook Family Collection.
Photograph of Woodnorton. Written alongside is "Woodnorton 1900;s". From Cook Family Collection.
Photograph of the Avon. Written alongside is "1905 Cleeve Prior?". From Cook Family Collection.
Photograph of the Avon at Evesham. From Cook Family Collection.
Photograph of Abbots Salford Hall.