The family were originally called Crosswell but, especially in this area, is known as Cresswell and most of the local family call themselves Cresswell. However, registrars & enumerators sometimes wrote Crosswell and sometime wrote Cresswell, even with siblings of the same parents, therefore caution must be exorcised as to how they called themselves. I have, perhaps incorrectly, used Cresswell with the following although some of them were known as Crosswell.
John Crosswell, born Worcestershire 1758. He was a Blacksmith. He married Mary Barnett, 1763-1837. In 1841 John was living in Bidford on Avon and had his grand daughter Elizabeth, William & Winifred's daughter living with him. They had issue:-
- Henry Crosswell, 1793-1875. He married Sarah Lambley, 1795-1879, and had issue:-
- Hemming Crosswell, bap Church Lench 22 Mar 1835. An ag lab/steam Engine driver. He married in Salford Priors 1858 to Emma Newman, born 1836. In 1861 they were living in 'Brickyard House (one of the houses at the Brickyards). By 1881 they had moved to Salford Priors. He died Salford Priors 1892. They had issue:-
- Ellen Crosswell, born Harvington 1867, died 1899.
- William Crosswell, born Harvington 1869, died 1943.
- Sarah Ann Crosswell, born Harvington 1875.
- William Crosswell, 1797-1876. Married Winifred Abel, 1802-1892. They had issue:-
- Henry Cresswell, born 1821. Married Eliza, born 1820
- Sarah Cresswell, born 1847
- Thomas Cresswell, born 1849. Married Kezia, born 1850. They had issue:-
- Reginald Cresswell, born 1880
- Emma Cresswell, born 1852
- Robert Cresswell, born 1854. Married Jane, born 1855. They married and had issue:-
- Alice Cresswell, born 1880
- Eve Cresswell, born 1881
- Raymond Cresswell, born 1885
- Jane Cresswell, born 1886
- Rosella Cresswell, born 1889
- William Cresswell, born 1857
- Eliza Cresswell, born 1860
- Jesse Cresswell, born 1821. Married Letitia Smith, born 1828. They had issue:-
- Albert Cresswell, 1846
- Frederick Cresswell, born 1849. Married Emma, born 1852. They had issue:-
- Albert Cresswell, born 1876
- George Cresswell, born 1850. Married Rosa Nightingale, born 1852. They had issue:-
- Millicent Cresswell, born 1873
- Lillia Cresswell, born 1875
- James Cresswell, born 1877
- Lucy Cresswell, born 1878. Married Richard Hughes. They had issue:-
- George Hughes
- Charles Hughes
- Alice Hughes, married George Plested. They had issue:-
- Ann Plested
- May Hughes
- Gladys Hughes
- Ann Cresswell, born 1879
- Egbert Cresswell, born 1881
- Jesse Cresswell, 1882-1967. Married Louisa Tuckwood, 1888-1964. They had issue:-
- David Cresswell, 1913-2002.
- Ernest Cresswell, 1915-2003.
- Amelia Cresswell, born 1916 died 2009.
- Nellie Cresswell, 1922-2004.
- Bertha Cresswell, born 1923 died 2015.
- Vic Cresswell, born 1925 died 2007.
- Lilly Cresswell, born 1885
- Elsie Cressell, born 1888
- George Cresswell, born 1888
- Rosetta Cresswell, born 1890
- Thomas Cresswell, born 1893
- John Cresswell, born 1893
- Abel Cresswell, born 1856. Married Martha, born 1858
- Stephen Cresswell, born 1881
- Ellen Cresswell, born 1883
- Edith Cresswell, born 1890
- Olive Cresswell, born 1862
- William Cresswell, born 1824
- Charles Cresswell, born 1824. Married Elizabeth, born 1826. They had issue:-
- Sarah Cresswell, born 1848
- Charles Cresswell, born 1851. Married Winifred, born 1852. They had issue:-
- James Cresswell, born 1875
- Walter Cresswell, born 1878
- Mary Cresswell, born 1864
- Herbert Cresswell, born 1856. Married Emily, born 1857. They had issue:-
- Mary Cresswell, born 1876
- Albert Cresswell, born 1877
- Eunice Cresswell, born 1879
- Charles Cresswell, born 1881
- William Cresswell, born 1883
- Edith Cresswell, born 1885
- Frederick Cresswell, born 1886
- Ralph Cresswell, born 1888
- Alice Creswell, born 1889
- Flora Cresswell, born 1890
- Flora Cresswell, born 1860
- Daniel Cresswell, born 1867
- Elizabeth Cresswell, born 1827. Married ----- Blake?
- John Cresswell, bap Church Lench 17 Dec 1828. He was married in 1850 to Caroline Cole, born Wyre Piddle in 1830. He died Ashton under Hill 16 Jan 1903. She died Ashton Under Hill 28 Aug 1906.
Worcestershire Chronicle Wednesday 17 Feb 1858: Important to Publicans, Thomas Mathews, landlord of the Golden Cross, Harvington was charged by P.C. Watcham with wilfully and knowingly permitting drunkenness in his house on Saturday evening, the 23rd ult. This case had been adjourned, in order to enable the defendant to disprove the charge. Robert Huband deposed that he went to the Golden Cross on the 23rd ult., about one o'clock and remained there smoking and drinking, till nearly midnight; that he got too much, and after he left the house he fell into a ditch, near the inn, where he lay for some time in a helpless state, and was ultimately rescued by P.C. Watcham. --- P.C. Watcham, in reply to questions from the Bench, stated that there was great noise and disorder at the Golden Cross on the 23rd ult., in consequence of a raffle, which, he believed, at the instigation of defendant, was held in the road opposite to the inn, instead of the inn itself, in order to evade the law. -- Mr. Eades, solicitor, appeared for defendant and produced two witnesses, named John Cresswell and James Stallard, who were both examined at great length. They failed to satisfy the Bench that the offence had not been committed, so after being reprimanded for attempting to evade the law with regard to raffles, the defendant was mulcted in the mitigated penalty of 1/- and 18/- expenses.
John and Caroline had issue:-
- George John Crosswell, born Harvington 1851. A Bricklayer. Died Ashton under Hill 27 Sep 1875.
- Catherine Emma Crosswell, born Harvington 1853. She married Alfred Porter and died 1932.
- William Crosswell, born Harvington 1854. A bricklayer. Married Ann B Roberts and died Cheltenham 1938.
- Elizabeth Cole Crosswell, born Harvington 1856. A Governess. She married James Taylor and died Ashton under Hill 1914.
- Thomas Cole Baylis Crosswell, born 1857, died 1859.
- Frederick Cresswell, born Harvington 1858. A Farmer's boy/Bricklayer. Married Ophelia Allington and Mary Ann Jones.
- Walter Crosswell, born Harvington 1860. A Bricklayer/Market Gardener & Publican in Ashton under Hill in 1911. Married c1884 Ellen Jeynes and died Evesham 16 Jan 1937. They had issue:-
- Percy S J Cresswell, born c1884, market gardener in 1911.
- Agnes Cresswell, born Harvington 1863. She married Joseph Swift Flockton and died Edmonton, Middx 1951.
- Albert George Cresswell, born Ashton under Hill 1873, died Ashton under Hill 1 Apr 1874.
- Thomas Cresswell, born 1832. Widower in 1911 living with son Frank in Portway Farm, Flyford Flavell. Married and had issue:-
- Frank Cresswell, born 1865. Living as Farmer at Portway Farm in Flyford Flavell in 1911. Married 1991 Catherine, born Little Comberton 1869. They had issue:-
- Winifred Cresswell, born Flyford Flavell 1992. Dressmaker in 1911.
- A----- Cresswell, born Kington 1902.
- Shadrach Crosswell, bap Church Lench 12 Nov 1833. Shadrach was married firstly in 1851 to Anne Sheriff of Dodderhill, she was bap at Dodderhill near Droitwich on 6th Aug 1820. A housekeeper to the Rector at Church Lench, she died of consumption at Rashwood, Dodderhill 19th Mar 1853. He married secondly Eliza Crosswell, 1832-1910, at Bedwardine on 18 Mar 1856. In 1861 they were living in Rouse Lench and in 1871 they were in Abbots Lench.
Worcestershire Chronicle 9 Jun 1858: Shadrach Crosswell, of Harvington, joiner, for assaulting and beating Timophy Mayrick, on the 27th of May at Harvington was fined 1/- and 13/6 costs. The quarrel took place at Harvington wake and was entirely provoked by the defendant. ----- Geo. Crosswell was charged with assaulting Timophy Mayrick at Harvington on the 28th ult. Defendant met complainant and asked him if he had got a summons for his brother Shadrack. Complainant said he should if he liked. George then Struck and kicked him. Fined 1/- including costs.
Shadrach died in 1904.
Worcester Journal 3 10 1868. County Court: William Wheatley and Shadrach Cresswell were each committed for fourteen days, in default of payment.
Worcestershire Chronicle Tuesday 23 2 1878: Pershore. Police Court, Shadrach Cresswell was charged with using threatening language towards Joseph Gardener, at Dormstone, on the 10th February. The complainant detailed the conversation as to the threats, which were not denied, and said he was now afraid of the defendant. Bound over to keep the peace for 3 months, with costs.
Worcestershire Chronicle 2l 9 1878: Accident, Shadrach Cresswell of Flyford Flavell, carpenter, was yesterday admitted into the Worcester Infirmary, suffering from a fractured leg which he received by falling into a ditch on Wednesday night.
Worcestershire Chronicle 5 3 1881: Fowl Stealing, Shadrach Cresswell, carpenter, was brought up on remand charged with stealing a fowl from the Boot Inn, Flyford Flavell, on the 14th of February. Thomas Clarke, the landlord, and Charles and Caroline Futerill identified the prisoner as the man seen to go and come away from the fowl pen when the robbery took place. P.C. Rowley proved finding the missing fowl in his garden hedge, and comparing his boots with footmarks close to the fowl pen, which prisoner admitted were his. Mr Bentley having
addressed the bench on prisoner's behalf he was sentenced to one months hard labour.
Worcestershire Chronicle 12 5 1894: Highway Offences, Shadrach Cresswell, carpenter, Kington, was charged with tethering a donkey on the highway at Kington on May 2nd. Defendant's son appeared, and said he was the owner of the donkey and admitted tethering it on the road. P.C. Pass proved the case, and defendant was fined 10/= including costs.
Worcestershire Chronicle 21 7 1894: Triviality, Shadrach Cresswell, carpenter,Kington, was charged by Elizabeth Griffin, Kington, with assaulting her at Flyford Flavel on July 2nd. Complainant said that she was going to Flyford for her husband, when defendant came out of the hedge and caught her by the shoulder, that being the assault complained of. She got away from him and he hooted after her. Defendant called his son to prove that he was in bed by 10' clock on the night of the occurrence, but witness could not remember more than it had
happened on a Monday night. George Bluck was also called but his evidence did not bear on the case, which was dismissed,
complainant to pay costs.
Worcester Journal 8 8 1894: Alleged assault at Kington, Elizabeth Griffin, Kington, was summoned by Shadrach Cresswell, carpenter, Kington, for assault on August 4th. Complainant said he was in his garden at Kington at 8.30 at night. Defendant came up to him and smacked him twice in the face, scratched his hand and said he wanted burning. He called Frederick Wise who said he saw defendant smack complainant in the face, William George Bluck corroborated. Defendant called her brother, John Pitt, who said complainant "blackguarded"
defendant " something disgraceful" and spat in her face. Defendant only hit complainant once with her cap because he was using such filthy language. The case was dismissed, complainant having to pay the costs 19/=.
Worcestershire Chronicle 1 7 1899: Adjourned, Shadrack Cresswell, carpenter, Kington, was summoned for allowing a cow to stray. He did not appear, and as there was some doubt as to the ownership of the animal, the case was adjourned for his attendance.
Worcestershire Chronicle 15 7 1899: Pershore, Petty Sessions, Astray, Shadrach Cresswell, labourer, Kington, summoned for allowing a cow to stray, was fined 2/6 and 6/- costs.
Shadrach had by Anne:-
Shadrach had by Eliza:-
- Frederick William (Crosswell), bap Harvington 8th Aug 1852. He was bur Harvington 13th Nov 1852 aged 3 months.
- Amelia Crosswell, 1856-1890.
- Sarah Agnes Crosswell, born 1858.
- Cora Cresswell, 1860-1918.
- Harvey Cresswell, born 1863.
- Owen Cresswell, 1864-1893.
- Philappa Cresswell, born 1866.
- William Henry Cresswell, 1869-1956.
- Alma Cresswell, born 1871.
- Ernest Cresswell, born 1876.
- George Crosswell, born Church Lench 1835. A hedgecutter.
Worcestershire Chronicle Wednesday 16 Aug 1854: George Crosswell of Harvington was summoned by Sarah Partridge for assaulting her on the 11th July. The defendant, it appeared, obstructed her egress from the churchyard, afterwards followed her towards her father's house, and "pulled her about". He was fined 6d and 14s 6d costs. Mr Kettle appeared her defendant.
He married in 1855 Mary Paddock, born Harvington 1836, died Cresswell 1902. He died Cresswell in 1913.
Worcestershire Chronicle Wednesday 17 January 1855: ASSAULT, Charles Williams summoned George Crosswell for an assault on the 11th December. Complainant said he was standing in the alley, when Crosswell came up and struck him on the head and ran away. He was followed and identified. The Mayor suitably admonished Crosswell, and he was fined 17s with costs 13s, or 2 months imprisonment. The money was paid.
Worcester Journal Saturday 24 January 1863: DRUNKENESS, William Ansell and George Crosswell, of Harvington for the same offence, case dismissed.
- Thomas Crosswell, bap Harvington 20 Apr 1856, died 1926. He married in 1879 to Ann Sparkes, born Harvington 1857, died 1921. A market gardener. They had issue:-
- Grace (adopted - surnamed Aldington), born Offenham 1884. Married Harry Read.
- Amelia Crosswell, born Harvington 1858.
- William Creswell, born Harvington 1859. A ploughboy and groom. He died in 1890.
- Pheobe Crosswell, born Harvington 1862. Moved to Monkskirby to work. Married a local man William Hall and had children and moved to Rugby.
- Jessie Crosswell, bap Harvington 2 Jul 1863, he joined the Oxfordshire Light Infantry under the name Edward. He died Leicester 1924. An ag lab/Railway Porter in Leicester. He married in the Leicester area in 1896 to Mary Louisa Lenton and had issue. The family were called Cresswell from the 1890's.
- Edward Crosswell, bap Harvington 2 Aug 1865, died Cresswell in 1930. He married at Harvington in 1897 Harriet Emma Hancock, 1867-1936. He was a bricklayers Labourer/Plate Layer for the Midland Railway. They had issue:-
- Edward Henry Crosswell, born Harvington 30 Nov 1901, died Stratford upon Avon 1980. He married Edith Stephens in 1927 and had issue:-
- Joan Cresswell, born 1929.
- Amelia Crosswell, born Harvington 1904.
- Henry Crosswell, born Harvington 1867, died 1870.
- George Crosswell. born Harvington 1869. An ag lab. Died Cresswell in Birmingham 1894.
- Sophia Crosswell, born Harvington 1871.
- Frank Crosswell, born Harvington 1876, died Cresswell 1894.
- Mabel Mary Crosswell, born Harvington 1877. She married George Matthews and died 1968.
- Edgar Crosswell, born Harvington 1879 garden labourer in 1911. Married c1992 Sarah Harriet Smith, born Lenchwick 1874, died as a Cresswell in 1942, daughter of George Smith and Luisa Guise. He died as a Cresswell Harvington 1972. They had issue:-
- Sydney Edgar Cresswell, born Lenchwick 13 May 1903. He married at Harvington in 1932 Irene May Beasley, born 28 Oct 1907, died 1974. He died Harvington 1991. They had issue:-
Sidney & Irene Cresswell
- Patrick A Cresswell, born 1936. Married Diana F Davis. They had issue:-
- Nicholas Cresswell, born 1973. Married Emma. They had issue:-
- Oliver Cresswell, born 2006
- Raymond Victor Cresswell, born Lenchwick 1905, died 1970. He was an amateur boxer. Married at Harvington Christie S Helena Beasley, born Abergavenny area 1910, died Harvington 10 Jun 1994. They lived for a while in one of the two timber-framed houses once in Grange Lane, Harvington. Raymond was a churchwarden in Harvington 1957-1994, and the gates into the cemetery are dedicated to him. Christie was a teacher at Harvington School and the first woman churchwarden at Harvington.
Ray & Christie Cresswell
- Rosamond May Cresswell, born Lenchwick 18 Jul 1906, died 1972. Married Reginald (Reg) Thomas Fleetwood, 1901-1973.
Rosamond & Reginald Fleetwood
- Francis (Frank) George Cresswell, born Harvington 1913, died Harvington 14 Apr 1983. Married Violet Gwendoline Wilson, born Elham, Kent 1913, died Harvington 8 Jan 1994. They had issue:-
Frank and sister-in-law Christie
- Joan Cresswell, born 1934. She married William H Merriman.
- Allen Crosswell, born Harvington 1882. Living Sutton Coldfield in 1911 as a gardener/domestic. He was married in 1909 at Kings Norton to Elizabeth Alice Linton, born Worcester 1907. Allen died Cresswell in Sutton Coldfield in 1962.
- Caleb Cresswell, born 1838. Married Emma Cresswell. They had issue:-
- Ruth Crosswell, born 1870
- Louisa Crosswell, born 1873
- Caleb Crosswell, born 1877
- Major Crosswell, born 1880
- Albert Crosswell, born 1886
- Amelia Crosswell, born 1841